coal mining in new zealand

Mining - coal: New Zealand historic heritage conservation

Discover the history behind New Zealand's coal mining industry by visiting DOC-managed historic sites like Benneydale Coal Mine in Waikato and Brunner Mine on the West Coast. This theme brings together a group of coal mining sites that began with the Brunner Mine of 1862. The three principal New ...

Get Support

Operating coal mine production figures - New Zealand ...

25  · As at May 2016 there are 17 producing coal mines in New Zealand

Get Support

Mining, Resources & Energy Jobs in All New Zealand - SEEK

Find your ideal job at SEEK with 95 jobs found for Mining, Resources & Energy in All New Zealand. View all our vacancies now with new jobs added daily!

Get Support

Coal & coal mining in New Zealand | National Library of ...

Coal & coal mining in New Zealand Information Section, State Coal Mines, with assistance from the Mining Engineering Section, State Coal Mines and the Technical Management Unit, Ministry of Energy [Wellington, N.Z.] 1987. Australian/Harvard Citation. New Zealand. State Coal Mines. Information Section. & New Zealand State Coal Mines. Mining ...

Get Support

Two historic West Coast coal mines to reopen

Yes the coal price is high at the moment but it will go back down making coal mining uneconomical. Coal has had its day." She said if new coal mines were opened New Zealand would have no hope of ...

Get Support

Ohai Coal | New Zealand | New Vale Ohai Coal

New Vale – Ohai Coal is committed to responsible and sustainable resource development. Setting the benchmark for industry best practices, ensuring the health and safety of our people, local communities where we operate, and minimising impact on the environment. We take pride rehabilitating the land to a better state than when we found it.

Get Support

Why Silicon Valley billionaires are prepping for the ...

· Why Silicon Valley billionaires are prepping for the apocalypse in New Zealand ... a canary in capitalism’s coal mine who also happens to have profited lavishly from his stake in the mining ...

Get Support

Otago Gold Coal and Mining Tours New Zealand

Otago Gold, Coal and Mining Tours Directory, New Zealand. Step back in time to visit sites where the early miners toiled in search of the elusive gold in Otago. Or visit modern gold or coal mining sites and see first hand how gold mining or coal mining is done today. Experience for yourself the thrill of finding gold amongst soil where valuable nuggets are still to be found in gold mines.

Get Support

Coal versus Kiwis - New Zealand struggles to balance ...

Global Ideas Coal versus Kiwis - New Zealand struggles to balance business and environment. In New Zealand, a century of coal mining tradition is clashing with efforts to protect pristine nature ...

Get Support

New Zealand Coal & Carbon

NZCC encompasses the mining companies ROA Mining Company Ltd and Francis Mining Co. Ltd. Our mining operations are based on the West Coast of New Zealand's South Island. Having conducted business since 1982 we have extensive history and experience in both exploration and mining.

Get Support

Mining | NZHistory, New Zealand history online

This map shows the location of New Zealand's major coal mine disasters where deaths were caused by gas explosions. Images and media for mining. Martha Hill Mine. Christchurch cavern, Arras, 1917. Map showing the tunnels at Arras. Site Quicklinks Culture & Society.

Get Support

Mining Jobs in All New Zealand - SEEK

Find your ideal job at SEEK with 200 mining jobs found in All New Zealand. View all our mining vacancies now with new jobs added daily!

Get Support

Gold, Coal and Mining Tours New Zealand, Gold Mine Tours ...

New Zealand gold, coal and mining tours. New Zealand mine tours include a range of tour options, such as gold mine tours and coal mine tours. Join a New Zealand mining tour and explore disused pioneering gold mines and learn of modern mining operations. New Zealand mining tours offer tours of tunneling mines with shafts burrowing deep into the earth or of large open cast mines.

Get Support

Coal mining New Zealand . New power: The shift to renewable energy sources is proving problematic for the industry Abstract Coal Mining in New Zealand Industry players use open-cast or underground mining techniques to extract coal resources for domestic use or export. Chat Now

Get Support

The Biggest Industries In New Zealand

New Zealand has a market economy, and the service sector makes up a large portion of the GDP. In 2013, the service sector contributed to 63% of the GDP. The economy is dependent on international trade with other countries. The biggest industries in New Zealand include the Agricultural and horticulture sector, mining, and fishing industries ...

Get Support

Coal in NZ: Lets talk about coal

Coal in NZ. New Zealand has 18 producing coal mines (October 2017) - with the major coalfields located in the Waikato, the West Coast, Otago and Southland. These are all open cast mining operations, which in 2016 produced 2.9 million tonnes of coal, for domestic use and for export.

Get Support

Coal Valley | Short Film | NZ On Screen

Coal Valley - This short 1979 National Film Unit documentary heads up the steep bush-clad West Coast valleys from Rūnanga, to profile the men at work at five private coal mines. Director Conon Fraser (Looking at New Zealand) showcases the remarkable DIY resourcefulness required by the small groups of miners. The rugged individuals work the seams, push bins along steep incline railways and ...

Get Support

Coal and coal mining – Te Ara Encyclopedia of New Zealand

Mining. Europeans began mining coal in New Zealand in the 1840s. At first, men went underground and dug out the coal with picks and shovels. In the early 1900s men used compressed-air machines in mines to cut coal from the rock. They also used explosives to blast the rocks. The coal was loaded into railway wagons and taken out.

Get Support

Birchfield Coal Mines Ltd - Home

Restoration methods at the coal mine sites developed in conjunction with Land Care New Zealand have set the benchmarks for the West Coast mining industry. Birchfield Coal Mines Ltd operate a number of coal distribution centres from within the West Coast and the wider South Island.

Get Support

Coal mining New Zealand - YouTube

· Coal mining at Rotowaro 8kms west of Huntly. + Excavating Greymouth river.

Get Support

New Zealand’s main coalfields – Coal and coal mining – Te ...

The four major coalfields in New Zealand are in the Waikato, the West Coast, Otago and Southland. Click on each region to get a more detailed map showing the coal deposits.

Get Support

New Zealand Mining Investment Opportunities

The Serpentine prospecting permit (PP60210) covers mined vein and widespread placer deposits where gold mining has taken place. It extends over 72 sq.km. Excluded stream areas in red cover previous gold dredging permits.

Get Support

How coal is regulated in NZ: Lets talk about coal

How coal is regulated in NZ The coal sector in New Zealand is heavily regulated, with an eye to the environment, workplace health & safety, access to land, and property rights to coal. This is as it should be - society has a right to know that resources such as coal are mined responsibly.

Get Support

MiningLink - The largest & most visited mining website in ...

The ROA coal mine that is located on the West Coast of the South Island of New Zealand in the Greymouth Coalfield is owned by New Zealand Coal and Carbon. ROTOWARO The Rotowaro mine, 100 kilometres south of Auckland and 10 kilometres from Huntly, New Zealand, is the country's second largest open cut coal mine.

Get Support

Coal mining New Zealand - YouTube

· Truck getting loaded at Rotowaro coal mine 8kms west of Huntly, north island New Zealand.

Get Support

Birchfield Coal Mines Ltd - Home

Restoration methods at the coal mine sites developed in conjunction with Land Care New Zealand have set the benchmarks for the West Coast mining industry. Birchfield Coal Mines Ltd operate a number of coal distribution centres from within the West Coast and the wider South Island.

Get Support

Denniston area: Places to visit in the West Coast

Visit the dramatic location of the West Coast's leading coal mine. At Denniston Coalmining Historic Area, wonderful interpretation panels present historic stories and research about the area. Denniston offers magnificent views down to the coastal plains of the Karamea Bight and the mouth of the ...

Get Support

Mining in New Zealand - Wikipedia

Coal mining produced almost 4 million tonnes of coal in 2014, of which 44% was exported. In 2016 it was down to 2,834,956 tonnes. New Zealand coal reserves are in excess of 15 billion tonnes, mainly in Waikato, Taranaki, West Coast, Otago and Southland. Over 80% of the reserves are in Southland lignite deposits worth $100 billion. Coal is produced from four underground and 21 opencast mines.

Get Support

New Zealand’s main coalfields – Coal and coal mining – Te ...

The four major coalfields in New Zealand are in the Waikato, the West Coast, Otago and Southland. Click on each region to get a more detailed map showing the coal deposits.

Get Support

New Zealand's Coal Deposits / New Zealand's Sedimentary ...

Most of New Zealand's coal has its origins in extensive coastal swamps or shallow inland basins. New Zealand coals are mainly 25 to 70 million years old – relatively young compared to many overseas coal deposits. This is due to the highly active geology of New Zealand.

Get Support

Gold, Coal and Mining Tours New Zealand, Gold Mine Tours ...

New Zealand gold, coal and mining tours. New Zealand mine tours include a range of tour options, such as gold mine tours and coal mine tours. Join a New Zealand mining tour and explore disused pioneering gold mines and learn of modern mining operations. New Zealand mining tours offer tours of tunneling mines with shafts burrowing deep into the earth or of large open cast mines.

Get Support

Macraes – OceanaGold

We’ve been mining at our Macraes Goldfield on the South Island of New Zealand for more than 29 years. Macraes is New Zealand’s largest gold producing operation.

Get Support